Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Coiled fabric bowl

So, I saw these instructions online and a little video here:
She makes these look so easy, if you're interested in doing this, check out her video.

This is one of CraftyGemini's bowls. SO CUTE!!!

This girl was so cute and I loved the baskets, so I decided to try my own.

I started with this 100% cotton rope (from walmart 3.00) and about 1/2 yard of this really hideous floral print that I'm pretty sure came from my mom's fabric collection. I seem to remember these being curtains at some point.
Cutting the fabric in about 1 inch strips, not being too exact. I found as I was wrapping the rope, that a little narrower strip may have been easier to handle. Also, when the strips were long, they were a little unweildy too, maybe cutting them a little shorter would have made it a little easier.
I cut about 30 strips and started wrapping. When you start, you'll want to cover the end of the rope so just fold it over and tuck the raw edges inside and secure it tightly.
When you come to the end of a strip, just cover the raw edge with the next strip and back track a little. when you have about 4 feet wrapped, stick a pin in it and its time to start coiling. I started a coil and when it was about 2 inches in diameter I started sewing.
Setting the machine to a very wide zig-zag with a pretty long stitch length, just start in the very middle and zig-zag across the gap to join each new coiled layer. Sewing, wrapping, sewing, wrapping.......
round and round...
Once the base was about as big as I wanted, I just tilted the whole thing up, and kept sewing. This creates the sides of the bowl. Building up and up.... wrapping, sewing.....

This bowl could be as large as you like, but I had limited time (the kids movie was almost over) so I decided to finish it off.
I found a remnant of a coordinating green and added 2 rounds. When I finished off, I cut the rope at an angle with about 4 inches of green hanging over the end. I twisted it tightly and it made a tapering effect. I continued to sew the twisted green fabric and back-tacked it a bit just to secure the end.

The end result is pretty cool, I could use this on my nightstand for my cell phone and keys :)

Some examples I found on the interwebs of what you can make with this technique (and a little more practice)



Monday, August 1, 2011

New Quilt started...

So, as I mentioned before, I am addicted to Flickr. I will sit and look at pics of other people's quilts & crafts for most of the night. Like, I'm talking about sitting up until 3am looking at this stuff. Sometimes I get great ideas, sometimes I am just envious of other people's ideas and sometimes I am just in awe of the amount of talented people out there. Seriously, there are some master craftsmen and women making some wickedly awesome stuff.

Anywho, this weekend I had 2 inspirations. First, I am starting a pinwheel quilt.
I will be posting the progress as I go, and hopefully get my butt off the damn interwebs and up into the sewing room to make it vs. just talk about it.... Here are some inspirations:


So I had some assorted (yet coordinating) far quarters from some other unfinished  project and started cutting triangles at 1am last night. I got one square sewn.

1. the palate:

From the pics & tutorials I have been looking at, I decided I was going to do 4 colors of pinwheel (6 wheels each) for a total of 24 pinwheels. I thought the floral fabric would tie it all together, but was a little overwhelming, so I'm going to use it as sashing.

2. cut 6 squares of each pinwheel color (6in X 6in) and then cut them in half diagonally. Also, 24 squares (6in X 6in) of the lighter color. I chose cream. Also, cut them diagonally.

3. pinwheel assembly:

Sewing each triangle to its mate, with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. I trimmed the corners, and sewed the top 2 squares together, then bottom 2, then joined top half to bottom half.

Here she is! Square One :) literally!!

6 of each of the 4 colors and I think I will lay them out 4 across the top by 6 squares in length. The square came out to be 10 inches after snipping the corners, so this will be a nice couch sized quilt when (if) its done!

The other inspiration from the craft-webs over the weekend was this:


I think that I will end up making some of these before the quilt is done :)
they are just too darn cute!!

I will keep updating the progress as I go along and take plenty of pics too!!!